Merchandise Manager job description template with skills and salary market rate
About this position
The Merchandise Manager is responsible for overseeing the planning, development, and execution of the company's merchandise strategy. This includes managing inventory levels, analyzing sales data, and collaborating with cross-functional teams to ensure optimal product assortment and availability. The Merchandise Manager reports directly to the Director of Operations.
• Develop and implement merchandise strategies and plans to drive sales and profitability.
• Analyze market trends and customer preferences to identify opportunities for new product development and assortment planning.
• Collaborate with cross-functional teams including design, production, and marketing to ensure timely and successful product launches.
• Manage inventory levels and optimize stock allocation across stores and distribution centers.
• Conduct regular sales and performance analysis to identify areas of improvement and develop action plans.
• Monitor competitor activities and pricing strategies to stay ahead in the market.
• Negotiate and maintain relationships with suppliers and vendors to ensure competitive pricing and timely delivery of merchandise.
• Develop and execute promotional campaigns and markdown strategies to maximize sales and minimize excess inventory.
• Train and mentor merchandising team members to enhance their skills and knowledge.
• Stay updated with industry trends, consumer behavior, and emerging technologies to drive innovation in merchandise planning and execution.
• Bachelor's degree in business, marketing, or a related field
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in merchandise management or retail buying
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Excellent communication and negotiation skills
• Proficient in using merchandise planning and inventory management software